In June 1912 the Ladies Aid Society of Mt. Zion Church made final payment on a $200,
two-acre lot at the corner of Route 216 and Browns Bridge Road, located diagonally across
the intersection from the church. In June 1915 the Society transferred the cemetery to the
Mt. Zion Cemetery Company, a private, non-profit corporation that published its original set of
rules and regulations soon afterward, in 1916.
Initially, the corporation made no provision for perpetual care. Instead, it raised funds through
public suppers and bake sales. It next tried billing site holders for maintenance, with little
success. In May 1953, the Cemetery Company began creating a perpetual care fund that is still
in use today. All principal monies from the sale of sites are invested, and the cemetery operates
solely on dividends and donations.
In September 1981, the Cemetery Company conveyed responsibility for cemetery property and
assets to the Board of Trustees of the Mt. Zion United Methodist Church. The church's Cemetery
Committee manages the cemetery's funds and administers its affairs.
Download a copy of the Cemetery Committee's Rules and Regulations:
The Memorials Committee began selling memorial brick pavers in January 2008.
4x8 inch pavers will hold 3 lines of 18 characters each; 8x8 inch pavers will hold up to 6 lines of 18 characters. 4x8 inch pavers are $150 and 8x8 inch pavers are $300.
You may order a brick(s) by completing an order form, enclosing a check payable to Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (with a notation for a memorial brick paver). The committee anticipates engraving and installing new pavers approximately every 6 months.
Order forms for these pavers maybe downloaded here: